Great people make great properties.
The (entry level) Accountant provides detailed financial and accounting analysis and serves as the primary accounting control for multiple properties. This position is responsible for overseeing the general ledger accounting, financial reporting, and the budgeting functions.
Essential Job Functions:
• Accept overall financial responsibility and take complete ownership of accounting and financial reporting matters for assigned properties. This includes understanding information received from other shared services departments, having a strong working knowledge of such information, and critically analyzing the impact of such information on properties economically and from a financial reporting perspective. Examples include CAM adjustment billings, recovery accruals, overage rent, straight-line rent, and fixed assets.
• Oversee application of GAAP for applicable property including reconciling general ledger accounts. This includes inquiry of other shared services departments in regards to items affecting general ledger that were prepared by other departments.
• Analyze in detail all factors affecting net operating income and net profit including what/if scenarios for acceleration/deceleration of CAM depreciation and effect of performing certain capital projects.
• Prepare analysis of partner distributions in relation to expected cash inflows/outflows and current cash position.
• Prepare accrual and general journal entries at month-end.
• Prepare financial statements on a monthly basis. On a quarterly basis prepare a partially electronic working paper package that serves as a detailed audit trail.
• Prepare actual versus budget/prior year monthly analysis with variance explanations for monthly property reports. Work effectively with the Property Manager to develop variance explanations.
• Participate in yearly budget process and provide support in compiling and preparing budget.
• Prepare quarterly forecasts of accounting data for property by effectively analyzing trends and anticipating certain developments by interviewing mall team and/or applicable party.
• Manage and ensure payment of debt service, ground leases, real estate taxes, and other miscellaneous special payments and analyze and reconcile related general ledger accounts.
• Serve as primary liaison with Accounts Payable and Property Manager on general ledger coding questions.
• Perform miscellaneous special calculations including ground rent participation payments, business license fees, etc. Research the underlying agreements, ordinances, etc. to ensure accurate calculations.
• Perform occasional special projects.
• Assist in year-end audit with outside auditors.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
• 0 - 2 years’ experience
• Knowledge of accounting principles required
• Ability to identify, comprehend and solve problems and important issues through review of accounting and financial data.
• All applicants must be able to perform the essential functions of the position, including corresponding core job requirements, with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities (and others in accordance with applicable law) to perform the essential functions of the job, consistent with applicable laws and Company policy.