Table of Contents
- What Personal Information Does Macerich Collect?
- How does Macerich use Personal Information?
- Do we share your Personal Information with any Third Parties?
- How We Store Your Personal Information.
- Access to Other Websites
- Protecting Children's Privacy
- Your Responsibility
- California Legal Disclosures
- Additional Policies in Compliance with the EEA Privacy Laws
- Contact Us
1. What Personal Information Does Macerich Collect?
We collect personal information that you enter on our Site or volunteer to us when you contact us. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of some of our features.
For purposes of this Policy, “Personal Information” means information (whether stored electronically or in paper based filing systems) relating to a living individual who can be identified from that data (or from that data and other information in our possession). This can include your name, email address, phone number, birthdate, and other technical information which is described further in this Policy.
Macerich collects only that Personal Information that is relevant for the purposes for which the data is requested. You can visit our Site without telling us who you are or revealing any Personal Information. Macerich does not sell Personal Information that it collects.
Information You Give Us
In some circumstances we may ask you for and you may submit Personal Information. This may include information you give us when you contact us through our Site, or correspond with us by phone, e-mail, or otherwise.
W-Fi Services. When using our Wi-Fi Services, you may be asked to provide certain information directly, such as your first and last name, e-mail address and phone number. You may also be asked to provide additional information such as your birthdate or an acknowledgment that you are over 13. You can choose to opt out of this service at any time, but if you do, you may not have access to our Wi-Fi networks. In some cases this is because Macerich’s Wi-Fi networking technology requires certain device information that is unavailable if you opt-out.
Newsletters, Events, Competitions and Sweepstakes. When you enter a competition, sweepstakes, or register for an event or register to receive one of our newsletters at one of our centers, you may provide contact information directly to us including name, address, email address, day and month of birthdate and/or phone number.
Communications with Macerich. If you provide feedback through a form or contact us via e-mail, we will collect your name and e-mail address, as well as any other content or information you provide.
Information We Collect About You
When you visit our Site, our web server automatically collects and stores the following information:
We may collect the following types of technical information, when you visit our site:
- Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet
- Referring website address,
- Media access control address (MAC),
- Browser type and version,
- Time zone setting,
- Browser plug-in types and versions,
- Operating system and platform; and
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our Site (including date and time), pages on our Site you viewed; page response times, download errors, duration of page visits, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
This information helps us improve our Site and facilitates your online experience when accessing our Site.
Video Recording. Macerich places video cameras at certain Centers. Macerich uses these cameras to videotape and/or photograph shoppers and analyze the photographs for security purposes, traffic counting and to assess demographic data, which may include age and gender. We use this information to optimize shopping experiences at our Centers, and for marketing, strategic and security purposes. This information is collected automatically and, due to the nature of such technology, you are unable to opt out of being photographed or videotaped while on any Macerich mall property. Photographs and videos of shoppers are generally deleted after 30 days, although such photographs or videos may be retained longer if law enforcement requests or if Macerich believes such photographs or videos may be needed in an investigation or legal proceeding. Macerich does not make any attempt to identify the individuals whose images are captured, unless a suspected criminal incident occurs requiring the identification of a specific individual.
Location Information. Macerich may use location information in Macerich mall properties to improve your shopping experience and to assist our merchants in providing services to you. Among the technologies we use are beacons that transmit a signal to mobile devices with a mobile application. If you use one of the Wi-Fi networks in our Centers, we will collect Personal Information from you in order to log you on to the network. We may also collect information about your use of the Wi-Fi, such as the web pages you visit, your MAC address, your IP address and your location while using the Wi-Fi. At certain of our Centers, we collect information that includes when and where you may have signed onto Wi-Fi, the duration of your visits to those malls and your movements within those malls data on web activity and browsing history when attached to our Wi-Fi systems, as well as your engagement with social medial while connected to the Wi-Fi systems.
Macerich also employs in some Centers other mobile data technology to observe how shoppers travel through our Centers, assess the duration of time they visit the Center, count the total numbers of shoppers by hour, by entrance and other zones within the Center, and detect whether the shopper is a repeat visitor and the frequency of their visits. These technologies use signals broadcast from a smartphone or other mobile device and the device's MAC address, together with the time, signal strength and location of the observing sensor. This may be accomplished using Wi-Fi access points from any guest Wi-Fi Macerich offers at the Centers, regardless of whether you use such Wi-Fi, or using Wi-Fi sensors provided by a Macerich service provider. Macerich uses this information for marketing, strategic and security purposes. If you want to avoid any collection of data by means of such mobile device detection technology, you (i) should ensure all mobile devices you may be carrying are fully powered off at all times while on our property AND (ii) not use any guest Wi-Fi service we may make available at the Center.
License Plate Recording. At certain Centers, Macerich photographs and records license plate numbers of shoppers who use our parking facilities. Macerich collects that information to assist drivers in locating their automobiles; to monitor available space in parking structures; and in certain locations, to facilitate automatic or cashless parking charges.
Macerich also allows law enforcement agencies to place video cameras on or adjacent to certain Centers to record license plates. These cameras are operated by and under the control of the applicable law enforcement agency. Macerich does not collect, store or use any images obtained through these cameras.
Information We Receive from other Sources
Macerich also receives information about you from third parties who operate other Sites or services Macerich uses to provide products and services to you. Macerich works closely with third parties, including business partners, promoters, affiliates, and sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, marketing analytics providers, promotions, and search information providers.
Social Networks. Macerich may also collect information you post in public areas of social media platforms including message boards, blogs and reviews. We may also collect information when you respond to a link or an advertisement we place on social media platforms.Return to top
2. How does Macerich use Personal Information?
General. We use your personal information for various business reasons, including to the following:
- Provide and Improve Online and in Center experience Services: We use the information we collect to perform business operations (i.e. how many people are entering our mall) to develop, provide, improve and personalize Macerich products and services and to provide customer support.
- Communicate with You: We use the contact information you provide us, such as your email address, to communicate with you about our services, provide updates on events, offers, promotions and other items we think may be of interest to you.
- Other Uses of Your Information: We also use your personal information to detect and investigate illegal activities and to protect the rights and property of Macerich, its customers and others.
Information you give to us
We will use this information:
- to provide you with the information, products, and services that you request from us;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, or between you and our promoters, affiliates, or distributors;
- to contact you in the future to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer, or that are offered by our affiliates or third party vendors;
- to contact you in the future with newsletters and email correspondence on behalf of Macerich, our affiliates and our third party vendors;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to comply with applicable laws and regulations;
- to allow you to participate in our sweepstakes, contests and promotions;
- to perform data analyses using anonymized and aggregated Personal Information.
Information We Collect about You.
We will use this information:
- to administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical, and survey purposes;
- to improve our Site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to provide you with customized information, offers and promotions from our mall stores;
- as part of our efforts to keep our Site safe and secure.
Information we receive from other sources.
We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may then use this combined information for the purposes described above.Return to top
3. Do we share your Personal Information with any Third Parties?
We partner with third parties to provide some of the services and products available on our Site and at our events. We sometimes disclose your Personal Information to those third parties, and they sometimes collect your Personal Information in the course of providing products or services. We have entered into agreements that require these third parties to use your Personal Information only on behalf of Macerich and under our instructions , which are limited to the purposes specified in this Policy (see Section 1). Macerich has written agreements with these third parties in which they agree to limit their use of your Personal Information and to provide protections for your Personal Information.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- As a manager of a Center, Macerich will disclose the Personal Information to the owner of such Center;
- If we sell a business or assets, we will disclose your Personal Information to the prospective buyer as part of the purchase, transfer, or sale of services or assets;
- If we sell all or substantially all of our assets to a third party, Personal Information about our customers will be one of the transferred assets;
Whenever we share information with third parties, we will take steps to ensure that the third parties put in place adequate measures to safeguard your Personal Information, and they will be required to use any Personal Information for only the intended purpose for which it was shared.
Macerich does not regulate how merchants with locations in a Center might collect or use your Personal Information. For information concerning how a merchant might collect or use your Personal Information, please contact the merchant directly.Return to top
4. How We Store Your Personal Information.
Macerich uses reasonable and appropriate measures to protect your Personal Information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction, taking into account the risks involved in the processing undertaken and the nature of the Personal Information we collect.
You may unsubscribe from any of our online e-mail updates and marketing by following the unsubscribe instructions in the body of any e-mail message we have sent to you. We will use reasonable steps to implement your unsubscribe requests promptly, but you may still receive promotional information from us by mail for up to 60 days, and up to 10 days for e-mail. You may also continue to receive information from those third parties to whom we have previously disclosed your Personal Information.
Please note that when you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, unless otherwise proscribed by law, we will keep a record of your email address to ensure we do not send you marketing emails in future.Return to top
5. Access to Other Websites
6. Protecting Children’s Privacy
We are committed to protecting the safety and privacy of children who visit our Site. The Website is not intended for use by children under 13 years of age and Macerich takes reasonable steps to avoid the collection of Personal Information such individuals. Under no circumstances does Macerich knowingly collect Personal Information from such children. By using the Website, you represent that you are at least 13 years of age.
If you are a parent or guardian who believes we have inadvertently collected your child’s Personal Information, you may contact us to request the removal of such child’s Personal Information from our database at any time by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us at 1-866-686-3246. Please note, however, that Personal Information inadvertently collected about a child may remain in back-up storage for some period of time after a request for deletion of that child’s account. This may be the case even though no information about that account remains in our active user databases.Return to top
7. Your Responsibility
8. California Legal Disclosures
In this section, we provide some legally required disclosures under California’s privacy laws. If you are a resident of California, these disclosures, and the rights we describe below, are applicable to you. While much of the information described in this section is already described above, we are providing these disclosures in a single section for your convenience.
Information Macerich Collects
Descriptions of the categories of information Macerich collects, the sources of the information, and the uses of that information are contained in Section 1, Section 2 and Section 3 above.
Your Rights Under the California Consumer Privacy Act
Under California law, California residents have certain rights regarding their personal information, including the following:
- The right to know the categories of personal information we’ve collected in the past 12 months and the categories of sources from which we got the information during that period (see “What Personal Information Does Macerich Collect?” in Section 1
- The right to know the business purposes for sharing personal information (see How Macerich uses your information in Section 2)
- The right to know the categories of third parties with whom we’ve shared personal information (see Do We Share Your Personal Information with Any Third Parties? in Section 3)
- The right to access the specific pieces of personal information we’ve collected in the past 12 months and the right to delete your information (see “Exercising Your Rights" below).
Exercising your Rights
- Making a Request: California residents may submit an individual rights request through any of the following means: (1) online by completing the Individual Rights Data Access and Deletion Request Form located here (open in new window), (2) leaving a voicemail at 1-866-686-3246, (3) emailing Macerich at email@example.com with the completed downloaded Individual Rights Data Access and Deletion Request Form, or (4) submitting the Individual Rights Data Access and Deletion Request Form to c/o The Macerich Company, 401 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 700, Santa Monica, CA 90401, Attn: Privacy Office.
- Verifiable Consumer Request: Before Macerich can process a request to delete or provide a copy of your data, Macerich will ask for your Personal Information to verify control of the accounts (or the account you are authorized to access). The verification process is based on a two (2) factor authentication method. Macerich will text a verification code to the number provided with the request. To complete the verification, the requestor must email the code to firstname.lastname@example.org. As a final step, Macerich will verify the code against that was sent.
- Macerich Time to Respond: Macerich will acknowledge a request within 10 days of receipt of a request. A verified request will be fulfilled within 45 days of receipt of any such request. Prior to deleting or releasing any information, Macerich will need to verify the requestor is authorized to have the information deleted or to receive the information through the two (2) factor authentication method described below.
- Receiving data: Customers can ask for the specific pieces of Personal Information that Macerich collects about them, categories of Personal Information Macerich collects about them and categories of third parties that collect the Personal Information.
- Deleting data: Customers may request deletion of their account at any time through the Individual Rights Data Access and Deletion Request Form.
- Authorized Agent: Third parties submitting a request on behalf of individuals will be required to submit a Power of Attorney or a Written Consent which must be verified through Macerich’s certification process.
- Parent/Guardian: Parents and legal guardians will be required to submit a Macerich provided consent form certifying their authority to make the request under penalty of perjury.
California residents also have the right to not be discriminated against if they choose to exercise their privacy rights – we will not limit your right to use our services if you choose to exercise your privacy rights, but if you choose to delete your data, we won’t be able to offer you services that require us to use your data.Return to top
9. Additional Policies in Compliance with the EEA Privacy Laws
“Controller” means the Company which is the organization that determines the purposes for which, and the manner in which, any Personal Information is Processed and used in its business.
“Processor” means any Person Processing Personal Information.
“Person” means a natural person, corporation, association, organization, partnership, or other legal entity.
“Processing” is any activity that involves use of the Personal Information. It includes, without limitation, obtaining, recording or holding the Personal Information, or carrying out any operation or set of operations on the Personal Information including organizing, amending, retrieving, using, disclosing, erasing or destroying it. Processing also includes transferring Personal Information to third parties.
The legal basis for processing your Personal Information
In order to comply with the GDPR, we are required to set out the legal basis for the processing of your Personal Information. In accordance with the purposes for which we collect and use your Personal Information, as set out above, the legal basis for processing your Personal Information will typically be one of the following:
- our own legitimate business interests, or the legitimate business interests of our Service Providers or our Third Party partners, promoters, affiliates, distributors, suppliers, vendors, and subcontractors, such as, for example, providing direct marketing to our customers of our products and services that we think would be of interest, permitting prospective employees to search and apply for job opportunities, handling inquiries from our promoters, affiliates, distributors, vendors, and customers, or other instances where we have carried out a legitimate interests assessment and have established an existing legitimate interest;
- the performance of a contract that we have in place with you;
- your consent, where appropriate; or
- compliance with our legal obligations, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
Where we store your Personal Information
The transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we take reasonable efforts to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access.
How long we store your Personal Information
In some cases, there is a legal requirement to keep Personal Information for a minimum period of time. Except in those circumstances, we do not keep your Personal Information for any longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the Personal Information was collected or for which it is to be further processed.
Your rights with respect to your Personal Information
Subject to certain exceptions, you have the following rights with respect to your Personal Information:
- To receive or access a copy of the Personal Information that we hold about you;
- To request that any inaccurate or incomplete Personal Information be corrected or supplemented;
- To have your Personal Information erased, unless we have a legitimate reason to retain the Personal Information (such as if we are required to do so for legal reasons); and
- To ask us not to process your Personal Information for a particular purpose, including for marketing.
All of these rights are subject to certain conditions and exemptions. For example, Macerich will not be obligated to erase your Personal Information if we need to retain it to protect ourselves in the event of a legal claim.
To exercise any of these rights, please submit a written request to us using the contact information set forth below. The Company reserves the right to charge a fee in dealing with such a request as permitted by applicable law and regulations. You may also opt out of receiving additional marketing information by using the unsubscribe feature in any marketing email we send you.Return to top
10. Contact Us
401 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 700
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Attn: Privacy OfficeReturn to top
Updated October 26, 2022
Effective January 1, 2021